In Fine Feather

1. Fig. well dressed; of an excellent appearance. (Alludes to a bird that has clean, bright, and flawless feathers.)
2. Fig. in good form; in good spirits.

Whole30

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

5,000 Calories/Day

Calories are something most of us have been taught to count. 1400 calories a day is the average advised intake of calories for a grown person. I was taught to eat what I want to weigh (120 lbs) x 10 (1200 calories/day) and that would be the amount of calories I should intake. Oh, boy.
I was taught that 3500 calories = 1 pound. So, in order to lose 1 dang pound, you have to eat 3500 calories less than normal(over time), or work it off at the gym ( I have also heard that running (not walking briskly) one mile burns 100 calories if you weigh more than 150lbs.).
But I was also taught that if you eat to few calories, or cut your calories drastically you will gain weight because your body thinks you are starving and holds onto and stores all the fats.
So is 100 calories from a candy bar the same as 100 calories of artichokes? After all, a calorie is just a calorie right? Nope. Wrong.
I am not saying that counting calories all together is a terrible idea, but we don't need to obsess about it. I tried to eat 1200 or less calories for the last few years. Now, I am not counting calories. I have no idea what my calorie intake is, but I am fairly sure it is well over 1200cal. I do keep a food journal but it is just so I can look back in case something needs tweaking, or so I can share meals with you all. Just because we were taught things one way, doesn't mean we can't change the way we think. There is always room for improvement.

Sam Feltham from Smash the Fat is one of my favorite heath activists. He works hard on improving peoples health, and he does trial diets so he can experiment the way the body reacts to different foods, not the way science says it should react, but the way the body actually reacts. This is a clipping of one of my favorite trials he did. Please read it, or turn the audio on (18 minutes) so you can listen while doing other things. I have listened to this audio many times, it never gets less interesting, he is a very smart man!

http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/
http://live.smashthefat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Why-I-Didnt-Get-Fat-From-Eating-5000-Calories-A-Day.mp3



No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Drop me a line..