In Fine Feather

1. Fig. well dressed; of an excellent appearance. (Alludes to a bird that has clean, bright, and flawless feathers.)
2. Fig. in good form; in good spirits.

Whole30

Friday, June 27, 2014

Starting my Healthy Journey

Hello!
I am starting my health journey. For the 3rd time. Here's my story..

When I was 18 I met this awesome guy on a blind date, we fell in love soon after, and were married 6 months later. I was not fit, and knew nothing about fitness but I was skinny. I was a small/size 3. I ate and drank really terrible. I'm talking super-sized McDonald's at least once a day, and 60+ ounces of Dr. Pepper (and worse, trust me!). I was going to school for Occupational Science, and worked 2 jobs so I was busy and ate out a lot. Prior to my 'busy' days I used to jog/run a decent amount, and I enjoyed it but it wasn't a priority.





After my husband and I had been married 13 months we got pregnant. I carried him to 37 weeks and gained about 25 pounds. After he was born I lost all my pregnancy weight within a couple weeks, and I was so relieved! I breast fed, and while doing so I had the WORST cravings for chocolate chip cookies, and root beer. I thought since I was nursing I could eat what ever I wanted. Well, that was not the case. I gained all that weight back in just a few short months! WHAT?!
Four months postpartum my friend Teri was on an awesome road to fitness and success and started a health coached diet bet and invited me to join. This is when I was introduced to clean eating, and I loved it! I never cheated on my diet, I was super diligent and lost a huge chunk of my weight during this month long 'diet'. I planned on continuing the clean eating habits but, we were moving 2,000 miles away just a few weeks after and I was really busy packing, and looking for housing, etc. So once again things sort of got placed on the back burner, and I didn't make it a priority. That summer I tried to pick up my healthy habits again but I was not very motivated, and I was kind of sad to be so far away from all my family and loved ones, so I started gaining weight. I gained it all back in just a few months.
Left was after gaining the weight back from round 1
Right was during weight loss round 2 (Medifast)
Nearly a year after I was introduced to clean eating I sought out help for losing this weight again, I tried the Medifast diet for 4 weeks and lost almost all my weight! I was so happy to feel so good again. After I finished that we moved another 1,000 miles further from our original home in Idaho. I was working out every day, I got a membership to a gym, a jogging stroller for my cutie pie, and I tried to keep up some clean and healthy habits. I was making new friends and so often heard things like "don't go to the gym, come hang out", or they would encourage me to cheat on my diet. (DISCLAIMER: No one controls your health. That is up to YOU. Do not let anyone disapprove of your healthy choices just because they don't understand them! and I really do love my friends here, they are great and we are all in the same boat, and on the same page!) and so I slipped up occasionally, then all the time. I lost sights of my health, goals, wins, and habits. I gained all that weight back. and some.
I have tried numerous times to start up a diet, participate in diet bets, and nothing has motivated me enough to put down that dessert! (I am queen of making fatty, sugary, and the most delectable desserts you will ever taste- that's my problem!)
Well, here I am, 23, goals in sight, and motivated. I really believe this time this is it. I know quite a bit about health and fitness. Well, enough to get healthy, and happy anyway.
I do believe there is room for all things in moderation. IN. MODERATION. I also believe there is a time and place for all things. Right now is not the time, nor place for me. I'm sticking hard to the paleo/clean eating/Whole30 (Oh, did I mention I am working on my first ever Whole30?!), and not allowing any cheat meals. When I have reached my place I will switch to a 85/15 diet (or something similar). I stick to things so much better when I am under a scope so I know this blog will help me get to my new place and I am just as excited about getting my family healthy, as I am about myself. They deserve it more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? Drop me a line..